Built in 1873&74 with a capacity of 33,000,000 gallons, it was enlarged in 1966 to 53,000,000 gallons. At that time with concern about a nuclear war it was also covered and a park with a series of ponds was constructed on its roof. Reservoirs such as this one togethr with effective filtation and sewage treatment brought Toronto from what today we think of a third world conditions to a modern healthy city. In 1910, Typhoid deaths in Toronto were 40.8/100,000. By 1915 it was 1.0/100,000. Today it is negligible. (See discussion on Toronto’s Water Supply).
Sculpture at Rosehill Reservoir